I do instagram, tweet and facebook all these random bits of edible adventures, so (I know this is cheeky) you could join me there; I'm happy to chuck you the rough recipe and tips if you give me a nudge. Anyway, I thought it might be a good time to give you guys a little roundup/update/peek into the edible bits of my life that have fallen through the anal shuhan filter.
1. I did a bit of food styling for a rare meats company, a mushroom book by some masterchef guy and the plusixfive cookbook. It was a nightmare finding 20 permutations of ways to photograph raw meat, a dream working with the fabulous loveleluu, and blood(cake)y fun messing about in my kitchen with James (of the Young Turks).
2. I discovered heaven exists. I borrowed 2 pans and a chopping board from there (for the above).
4. I confirm that everything deep-fried is made ten times better. That's a deep fried egg (for sambal telur). And that's a prawn with its head chopped off, guts pulled out, and its body scalded in hot oil (before being fried in butter with curry leaves and chilli).
5. I dug up mum's crazily detailed, annotated, colour-coded handwritten recipes that she mailed me in my first year on Mother's Day. Recipe includes warning "only do after Skyping me". Ah, I miss her. That's Chinese savoury steamed egg and that's soy sauce over, not creme caramel.
6. I made Mum's kong bak pau recipe for a Chinese New Year supperclub. It took me 3 days from start to finish. Leftover pork belly with steamed purple sprouting broccoli was pretty awesome stuff too. This is one recipe I am forbidden from sharing because my mum is probably going to get rich and famous with it.
Right, that's it. I think I might chuck this post if I don't click 'publish' so here goes.
Stop missing out on the fun: